97 Squadron (brief history) transferred from Coningsby on 1 March 1942. As the second unit to be equipped with the Lancaster, the squadron was heavily involved with early operations with this aircraft, including the low level mission to bomb the MAN diesel engine factory in Augsburg on 17 April 1942. The Squadron moved to Bourne, Cambridgeshire, in 1943 leaving three crews as a nucleus for 617 Squadron, "The Dambusters"
Official Historian 97 (Straits Settlement) Squadron Association Kevin Bending
On Saturday 24th September 2011 members of the 97 (Straits Settlement) Squadron visited Thorpe Camp Visitor Centre. The special guests take time for a photo during their reunion. Photos by Thorpe Camp Preservation Group.
Association President Wing Commander K.H.H. Cook DFC
Hon. Secretary 97 (Straits Settlement) Squadron Association The Late Mrs. Ann Savage
& Vic Savage
Flight Engineer C.W. “Bill” Goldring
Flight Lieutenant Bob Lasham DFC Bar