The Preservation Group.
The Centre was formerly part of No 1 Communal Site, RAF Woodhall Spa, and was built in 1940 with a planned lifespan of only ten years! The site included the Officers and Sergeants Messes, Airmen's Dining Halls and the NAAFI building, together with ration store, latrine and ablution blocks. Only the Airmen's Dining Halls, the NAAFI and ration store are within the Centre's boundary.
< Click the Icon for a PDF of the Thorpe Camp Handout and Map
At the end of the war, when the RAF vacated the site, it became a target for squatters and was taken over by the Horncastle Rural District Council who converted it into temporary housing for which it was used until the early 60's.
By 1987 the site was completely derelict and overgrown. Part of it came within the area acquired by the Woodland Trust when they purchased the adjacent Carr Woods and it was their plan to demolish the buildings.
The Preservation Group was formed in 1988 to rescue the site from demolition and to create the visitor centre.
The centre opened in 1994.